Who is Qualified and Equipped to Treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder?

boy child looking out of the window at the rain

Imagine this scenario: A mother read about ADHD and started seeing some of its symptoms in her child. At first, she rationalized and denied it, but as time goes on, more and more symptoms become evident. Now she is seriously thinking about visiting a professional.

While that may seem like the best option, which it is, not just any doctor will do. According to WebMD, only some specialists have been trained to handle such situations. In this article, we will examine some professionals that have the needed training to diagnose and treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in children.

Health Professionals who can treat ADHD

The first thing you need to understand is this: only a professional can diagnose and treat this condition. Even if you take your child to any doctor, chances are that you will still be redirected to a specialist or professional. In some cases, a team of professionals can be on a particular child’s case. In such a case, the team will cooperate and each will play a very different role in the child’s treatment.


A pediatrician is a doctor that takes care of infants, children, and adolescents.  He will be the one to map out a treatment plan because as someone who specializes in the treatment of kids, he knows what is too much or too little for him to handle. He will determine if what will work best for a child is either behavior therapy or the use of medication.

He may also find it helpful to conduct his tests on the child, and such tests may include things like depression, anxiety, or dyslexia.


The role of a psychiatrist is to prescribe and manage any medication that was prescribed. Even though any doctor can prescribe drugs, a psychiatrist is more equipped to monitor any effect the meds may have on him. He will also examine the child to know if something else might be responsible for the condition.


His job is to help your child manage the unwanted behaviors that come as a result of the ADHD. Since aggression, anger, and occasional outbursts are some of the symptoms a child with the condition may experience, he will do all he can to help that child manage those traits. Well, you just have to trust him because he has been trained to handle stuff like that.

Apart from helping to manage and if possible eliminate those unwanted traits, he will also help the child imbibe good social skills like keeping their personal belongings, waiting their turn, communication, as well as concentration. The psychologist may have to visit or consult with the school to make the daily life of such a child a little bit easier at school. A psychologist will also use these two following therapies:

  • Cognitive-behavioral therapy
  • Behavioral therapy

In this article, you will find more information.

Occupational Therapists

As described by ADDitude, this medically trained personnel will help teach the child good organizational skills in their personal life. He will evaluate his home environment and school environment, figure out how the condition is affecting them and proffers workable solutions on minimizing former traits.


Every medical condition requires a trained professional. So the next time you see or hear of a child with symptoms of ADHD, not just any physician will do. To avoid complications, consult a professional who will help minimize the effects.

Categorized as Blog

By Martha Campbell

Martin Campbell is a 27-year-old chef at chain restaurant who enjoys going to the movies, cookery and spreading right-wing propoganda. She is loveable and creative, but can also be very cowardly and a bit impatient.